Why Aging in Place is a Benefit to Seniors
Growing old can often feel like an intimidating process, yet it is one that we all must go through at some point. When the time comes to start considering your living situation and whether you should stay in your home or consider moving to somewhere smaller with more support there are many things to consider. Though living in a home that can offer support and assistance can be the right solution for you, there are many benefits to staying in your home for as long as you can.
Benefits to aging in place at home
There are many reasons why people should age in place as long as they can. From social benefits to financial ones, the motivations to stay in familiar surroundings are plenty.
Surroundings are familiar
You can hold onto your social life
It’s likely cheaper
You’ll maintain your independence
Tips to help you age in place
- Meal and grocery delivery services – If going shopping or cooking meals is starting to feel difficult or dangerous, grocery and meal delivery services can be just what you’re looking for. Take all the guesswork and stress out of having to cook for yourself by having your meals delivered and avoid the struggles of making it to the store with the help of a grocery shopping service.
- A modified shower or bathtub – When stepping into the bathtub, standing for a shower or getting down and up out of the tub start becoming too hard, modifying your space might be the answer. Whether that means using a shower chair, installing handrails or installing a sit in bathtub, there are many ways to modify your current situation.
- Stairlifts – At some point walking up and down stairs might become prohibitive. Installing stairlifts can help ensure you can make it up and down with little issue.
- Handrails – If walking around your home and up and down stairs without support has become too much, installing handrails to go up stairs or down hallways can help you get around.
- A rollator walker – As walking without support becomes more of a struggle, using a rollator walker to get around can make all the difference. A rollator walker can help you in many ways:
Aging in place has many benefits
For those who are faced with the difficult decision of whether to stay in their home longer or consider moving into an assisted living facility, there may be many factors in play. Though it can be a tough decision to make, there are several benefits to staying in their own home for as long as they can. While you may have some difficulties around your home when it comes to getting around, there are several tools and supports that can offer their assistance and help you stay in familiar surroundings.